Wednesday, February 24, 2010

King "Pilgrimage to Nonviolence" in Lynd

I really enjoyed reading this piece. It was really interesting to see King's progression of thoughts and beliefs, and to his beliefs change and evolve through out his education. For me I think the most powerful thing he said in the entire piece was that nonviolent resistance is the lesser of evils. When I read that I had a euricka moment. I had been thinking really hard about the definition paper and simply could not figure out how to address the issue of harm caused through nonviolent resistance. I knew that nonviolence was certainly a more morally and ethically superior choice to violence, but i could not figure out how to remedy the harms cause by it. And then it hit me. Of course nonviolent resistance causes harm, resistance, by definition must be harmful in some way, and if you are to cause harm then it must be done nonviolently. Nonviolent resistance does not mean non-harmful, it simply means that it is not destructive and not malicious. Nonviolent resistance means compelling your opponent to conceed through means other than violence, it is more about convincing the other party that your way is correct rather than forcing them to bend to your will.  

No comments:

Post a Comment